The 2019 ASEAN Iron and Steel Sustainability Forum, the year-end event of the Institute, will be held at The Ritz-Carlton Jakarta, Mega Kuningan in Indonesia from 25 to 27 November 2019. The Forum is co-hosted by the Indonesian Iron and Steel Industry Association (IISIA).
As the event is being held in Indonesia, there will be a Special Focus Session on “Indonesia’s Economic Outlook and Construction Development”. This session aims to look at Indonesia’s economic performance and construction activities from the perspectives of the government, the steel industry as well as other stakeholders. Thus, the session will see the participation of various representatives from the Indonesian government sector, the steel industry and other interested parties who will present papers and/or participate in a Special Panel Discussion.
This year’s Forum will have the usual session on Steel Market Developments to provide updates on various developments impacting the steel industry in ASEAN. Papers that have been confirmed are:
- Update on ASEAN Steel Development Scenario by SEAISI
- Looking into ASEAN Construction Sector by Iron and Steel Club, The Federation of Thai Industries
- Capacity and Trade: Southeast Asia at the Centre of Global Trend by Kallanish
- China’s Steel Industry – Challenges and Opportunities by Mysteel
In line with one of the three strategic themes of the Institute under its new business plan, i.e. digital developments, there will be a session on “Higher Value Delivery Through Digitisation and Internet of Things”. The following papers have been slotted in this session:
- Smart Steelmaking – A Step Towards a New Industrial Revolution
- Development of AI-based Predictive Model for Finishing Mill Exit Temperature
- Reducing Impact of Rolling Operations Applying Industrial IoT
- Driving the Digital Transformation in Metal Casting Operations
This year’s event will also continue to provide special focus on the construction sector, which is another area of strategic focus of the Institute. Thus, there will be a number of dedicated sessions on this sector viz. Steel Construction – Material, Technology and Design for Natural Disaster; Development on Building Construction System; and Development of Materials and Steel Products for Construction Sector. Some of the interesting papers that will be presented in the above sessions include:
- The Application and Development of High Strength Seismic Steel in Taiwan
- Steel Structure Technologies Conducive to Securing Earthquake and Tsunami Safety
- Development and Application of Aseismic Steel for Building
- The Review of Thailand’s Steel Structure Fire Resistance Regulations and Overseas
- Capacity Evaluation of Hybrid Steel Sections (Built-up Steel Sections with Variable Steel Strength)
- New Construction Technology (P-Box)
- High Strength Steel Reinforcement – A Singapore Journey
- Development of High-Strength Marine Structure Steel
- The Development of 520MPA-Class HSLA Steel for Steel Pipe Structure Applications
For plant tour on day three of the event, delegates will have the opportunity to visit the plant of PT Bukaka Teknik Utama Tbk (Bukaka), a leading Indonesian company in infrastructure and metal construction industry that produces high quality products for strategic sectors such as energy, transportation and communication. The company’s products include steel tower, boarding bridges, steel bridges, oil and gas equipment, road construction equipment and special purpose vehicles. Included in the tour is also a visit to a subsidiary of Bukaka, PT Bukaka Forging Industries, which manufactures automotive parts and machinery components using quality forged steel as basic material.
For detailed information and registration, visit the SEAISI official website at www.seaisi.org. Register now to participate in this important year-end event of the Institute!
TAN AH YONG